Earth day is one of my favorite holidays.
No, there aren’t any presents wrapped in sparkling bows, big feasts with family, and chances are, you don’t get the day off from work, but Earth Day should still be celebrated with enthusiasm regardless. Earth Day is a time set aside each year to remember the importance of caring for the nature around us, and to encourage us to continually treat the world with respect.
Earth Day is a special 24 hours that reminds us how we should be conserving throughout the other 364 days of the year.
Sure, saving the planet and those who inhabit it may seem like a daunting task, but in reality, everyone can lend a helping hand when it comes to the environment. In fact, you can make a difference on Earth Day simply be choosing to:
- Ride your bike instead of the bus.
- Opt for a reusable water bottle instead of plastic.
- Organize a recycling drive for your neighborhood.
- Transform a corner of your backyard into a garden.
- Turn off the lights in rooms of your house that are not in use.
- Compost your fruit and veggie scraps.
- Plant a tree.
- Use fabric reusable bags when you go shopping.
- Cut your shower time down by 3 minutes.
- Reuse newspaper as gift wrap.
- Recycle old cell phones and laptops at a local electronics store.
- Plant bulbs and other flower seeds in your front yard.
- Turn off your A/C, open a window, and let fresh air cool your home.
By turning off a few light switches, reducing the amount of plastic you use, or even planting a new tree, you will be able to make a difference in just a matter of seconds. Get started on making the world a better place this Earth Day, and every day after.